St Joseph Engineering College conducts Online FDP on Insights on Writing Research Proposals & Funding Opportunities
Mangaluru: As many educational institutions move to a remote learning environment, a lot of researchers around the world are experiencing online mode in every stage.To promote the same, the Research and Facilities Group of St Joseph Engineering College (SJEC), Mangaluru, organized One Week Online FDP on “Insights on Writing Research Proposals and Funding Opportunities” to Research Scholars, Faculty and Students from 20 to 24 July 2020 via Cisco WebEx.
The objectives of the event were to provide knowledge on Research Proposal and Funding Opportunities for academicians as well as scientists working on research. The FDP was also intended at providing insights on promoting excellence by knowing ways to get DST, CSIR, DRDO, MHRD funds and to create awareness to write good proposals. To provide inputs on these, a group of well-experienced experts were identified who shared their valuable knowledge and experience during the week-long event.
The FDP was virtually inaugurated by the Chief Guest Dr Venkateswarlu Karodi, Senior Principal Scientist, CSIR, NAL, Bengaluru, in the presence of Rev. Fr Wilfred Prakash D’Souza, Director of SJEC, Rev. Fr Rohith D’Costa and Rev. Fr. Alwyn Richard D’Souza, Assistant Directors of SJEC, Dr Rio D’Souza, Principal of SJEC, Dr Felcy D’Souza, Librarian of SJEC and Convener of the FDP and Dr Sandhya Dass, Chairperson of Research and Facilities Group at SJEC and Chief Coordinator of the FDP.
Dr Venkateswarlu Karodi, Chief Guest of the FDP, in his keynote address stated that organizing such events would be an effort to reach out and guide the prospective research scholars to learn something which helps them to bring out quality publications.
After the keynote, the following sessions were conducted over five days:
1. Writing a Research Proposal by Dr Rajalakshmi Chowhan, Assistant Professor, Dept of Electrical Engineering, IIT Jodhpur andRecipient of “Early Career Research Award”
2. How to write Acceptable Research Papers and Role of Research Supervisors by Dr Arun Mohan Isloor, Professor and Head, Department of Chemistry, NITK, Surathkal
3. Research Support Tools & Techniques by Dr Felcy D’Souza, Librarian, SJEC
4. Funding Opportunities to Start-upsby Dr Y S Upadhyay, Associate Professor (Senior Scale), Department of Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering, MIT, Manipal
5. Funding Agencies for Independent Researchers by Dr Mahedevappa Manjunath, Associate Professor, School of Medical Science & Technology, IIT Kharagpur and Vice-Chairman of GATE-JAM
6. Biotechnology-Research and Entrepreneurship Opportunities by Dr Prashantha Naik, Professor, Dept of Biosciences, Mangalore University
7. Research and Higher Educationby Dr Rajesh Kumar PC, Associate Professor, Dept of Physics, SJEC
8. Secrets to Write Publishable High Impact Research Articles and Winning Grant Proposals by Dr B Sathiyabhama, Professor and Head, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Sona College of Technology, Salem
9. Writing Research Proposals by Dr Abhishek Appaji, Institutional Coordinator for R&D, Jt. Treasurer & SIGHT Chair, IEEE Bengaluru Chapter, BMS. College of Engineering, Bengaluru
The well-attended program had more than 250 participants from SJEC including invited delegates ranging from academicians, professionals from Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Maharastra, Orissa, Telangana etc. The program was also marked by lively talks, questions, and interactions with the participants.