Mangaluru: Diocese of Mangalore organizes Campaign against suicide
Mangaluru: Catholic diocese of Mangalore ,under its Bishop, Most Rev Dr. Peter Paul Saldanha serving the society with unique campaigns. Through Laudato Si campaign saplings are planted in 124 parishes, spread out in Dakshina Kannada and Kasargod districts on a regular basis every year and monitored through church administrative structures. This year is proclaimed as “Year of Life-2020” in Mangalore Diocese with the tagline- “Human life is precious, care and protect it”.
On the occasion of year of life, Laudato Si committee of Mangalore Diocese organizes campaign against suicide, on 01March 2020 in all the parishes of Mangalore Diocese. This unique campaign is organized as below;
- Sunday Mass and prayers:On 01 March 2020 Sunday , Holy Mass will be offered , with relevant homily and prayers in all the churches of Mangalore diocese , spread out Dakshina Kannada and Kasargod districts.
- Pledge: All the people take a pledge that they will face any life threatening situation bravely rather than thinking of suicide cowardly. The people also pledge to help the person who has suicidal tendencies to overcome the negative thoughts by accompaniment, giving positive strokes and arranging counseling as for as possible.
- Handbills:over 1 lac handbills are printed containing information in English & Kannada about educating and helping people to protect Human life. They will be distributed to all the people on that day to create awareness about the campaign.
- Seminars & Workshops: A call is given to all the parishes to organize seminars/workshop, awareness programmes on the issue in Parish level and involve people of all religions. A team of 50 resource persons who are qualified in this field are ready to conduct the programmes.
- Helpline Support: The organizers of the campaign are provided with existing Toll Free Helpline Number to prevent suicide. People with the tendencies can call 0824-2983444 (24×7) to prevent it.
- Yellow Ribbon :Over a lach yellow ribbons will be distributed by the committee. All those who are joining in the campaign will be wearing a Yellow Ribbon on the dress provided by the organizers on 2nd March 2020 during the whole day, wherever they are to create awareness against suicide.
- Happy Face Photo Contest:To attract the youth and others a “Happy Face Photo contest” is organized for the public. Any person above 12 years of age can participate in this contest by sending a Bust size photo (Face only) either a selfie or photograph of oneself to this WhatsApp Number 7090449999 before 30-04-2020. Best and happiest face of a man and a woman will be awarded with Rs 10000/- each. The results will be announced before 15 May 2020.
- Publicity in Media: A call is given to use Media Platforms to create awareness about the issues connected to the campaign in the respective parish limits.