Mangalore: Feb. 12: The Year of the Rosary was inaugurated at Kirem Church on Sunday 11th February 2018, the Feast of the Lady of Lourdes.
As announced and declared by the Bishop, this year has been dedicated as the Year of the Rosary.
Parish Priest Fr Victor D’ Mello blessed and incensed the new statue of Our Lady of Fatima during the 7 am mass.
A candlelight Rosary Procession was held in the evening at 6:30 pm. The faithful gathered in large numbers and took part devoutly.
The Newly Blessed Stature of our Lady was taken in a Procession amidst hymns.
The Procession Commenced at the Grotto, moving around the church and returning back to the Grotto while reflecting and offering the mysteries of the Rosary for various intentions of the Parish.
The Spiritual Committee of the Parish organised the programme.
The origin of the Church goes back to the time when in 1730 King Chennaraya Samanth a feudatory of the Nayaks of Keladi donated 6 acres of land to the Christians to build a church at one rupee 2 annas chaalgeni per year. Fr Joseph Francis Alvares, a Goan priest, lived here from 1759 to 1761 and he offered mass in the thatched building.
The first parish church with a tiled roof was built in 1783. It was demolished by the soldiers of Tippu Sultan in 1784 and it was found in ruins by Fr Paulinus.
In 1800 the foundation for a new church was laid and a church was raised. Later, the Portuguese King used to give a grant to the church and to mark this a Cross which looks like the Portuguese crown was kept at the entrance of the church where the present façade stands.
Fr Aloysius John D’Souza (1903-1908) became the first Mangalorean parish priest to serve Kirem. Fr Salvadore D’Souza built the outstation church at Paladka where he became the founder parish priest. Fr Emmanuel Rebello (1914-1937) constructed 2 chapels, one at Bolkunje, and the other one at Niddodi. Fr George Menezes (1937-1951) built the fourth church building in 1943.
The once vast Kirem parish was dismembered for the formation of Paladka, Bolkunje, Niddodi, Kelmbet and Mundkur parishes.