Houston Konkan Catholic Association celebrates Monti Fest 2020
Houston, USA: Houston Konkan Catholic Association celebrated Monti Fest on Saturday, September 12, 2020 with great devotion and splendor. As all are all in the midst of a pandemic, the HKCA Core Committee found new ways to celebrate this traditional event by broadcasting it on Zoom, thereby ensuring the safety and well-being of families and guests.
The event began with the screening of the feast mass celebrated in Konkani at Immaculate Conception Church, Urwa Parish in Mangaluru, India. The mass was dedicated to the intentions of HKCA families. More than 50 families in Houston participated in this festive mass.
A mass was also offered at Holy Family Church, Missouri City, TX at 5:30 pm with a special blessing for Baby Mary. The Bambina was placed on an artfully decorated dais by Elveera Pereira and family. Novem blessed at this mass was distributed to HKCA families by Elveera Pereira.
Immediately following the mass, HKCA families dressed in ethnic wear had processions and flower offerings to Baby Mary lovingly placed in their homes to the joyous accompaniment of ‘Sakkad Sangatha Melyaan’ and ‘Moriyek Hogolsiyan’. The camera spotlighted these families.
This was followed by a small break during which pictures of past HKCA Monti Fest celebrations, as well as pictures of HKCA families dressed in traditional Indian attire were flashed on the screen much to the delight of everyone.
The cultural program for the evening commenced with a brief welcome in English and Konkani by Events Director, Leslie Mathias. He thanked the HKCA Healthcare Workers for coming to the assistance of members in need, and commended them for their tireless dedication and commitment to the Konkan community.
Allen D’Souza wished everyone a Happy and Blessed Monti Fest and the screen then lit up with a medley of performances by the following kids and adults who displayed their multi-faceted talents through dancing, singing and playing various musical instruments.
- “Ave Maria” sung by Anessa Mathias and Kiara Baretto accompanied by Aiden Mathias on the piano and Aviv Baretto on the violin.
- “Bless the Lord O My Soul” by the D’Souza siblings, Ava on the violin and Aiden on the Piano.
- “Mother of Mine” and “Amazing Grace” by Eric Saldanha.
- “Let it be” and “Someone you loved” by Kenneth Fernandes.
- Konkani number “MoganAsonBorem” and “Country Roads” by BlendonSequeira.
- Konkani Hit “SuryachaKirnani” by Amith and OvitaFernandes.
The dances of the evening were performed by:
- Trinity Fernandes to the Bollywood hit “AankhMaare”.
- Anessa Mathias to the foot tapping “AankhMaare” and “Muqabla”.
- Tiny tots, Soniya and Priya Park to the Konkani song “YehYeh Katrina”.
- Kiara and Kian Pattani to the Konkani number “Maria Pitashe” in true BharatNatyam style, as well as the preppy Bollywood hit “Zingat”.
- Nikita D’souza, KareenaD’souza, Sian Lobo, Sanzia Lobo and friends to a variety of Bollywood numbers such as “Twist Kamariya”, “Cham Cham”, “Lets Nacho” and “Mumbai Dilli Di Kudiyaan”
The audience then happily participated in an exciting virtual game of Bingo with cash prizes going to a few lucky winners.
Basil Kenny & Vikram Fernandes assisted Leslie Mathias & Allen D’Souza to make this virtual event a success.
Ronald Pinto gave the Vote of Thanks wherein he thanked the HKCA Core Committee for their hard work and dedication in ensuring that the show must go on despite uncertainty and adversity, and making this first virtual celebration a resounding success.
The Monti fest celebrations concluded with the audience singing enthusiastically to the traditional “Laudate Dominium” led by Maxi Pereira.
Report: Crescy M. Lobo