(1885) Most Holy Redeemer Church, Belthangady
Belthangady P.O. 574 214
Web: Holy Redeemer Church/ Face book
Catholics: 3240 Families: 648
Publication : "Roopanthar" - Quarterly
Alter Servers, Marian Sodality, YCS/ ICYM/ Catholic Sabha, Pompei Sodality, SSVP, SFO, Sthree Sanghatan
Weekdays : 6.30 am
Every Friday : 7.00 pm Mass & Adoration
Saturdays : 4.00 pm
Sundays : 7.30 am & 10.30 am
Manjotti Chapel : 9.00 am (Sunday)
Parish Priest : V. Rev. Bonaventure Nazareth Mob.: 9449209400
Asst. Parish Priest : Rev. Melwin John D’Souza Mob.: 8861727972, 9739601323
Principal : Rev. Anil Prakash D’Silva Mob.: 9108822908
Sub Station: Holy Cross, Manjotti
1. St.Therese Convent. Tel.: 08256 – 232083, 9481594708
2. Church Hr. Pry. School. Tel.: 08256- 234118
3. Holy Redeemer English Medium School (Primary & High School). Tel.: 08256- 233515
In 1682, when Maratha King Sambhaji invaded Goa, some Catholilc families fled from Bardez in Goa, to a place called Gaddai, Athyadka and began residing there. In about 1870, Fr Vaz constructed a chapel here. Originally a part of Agrar, the chapel was served from there. During the Goa-Verapoly controversy, some families seceded from Agrar and built a small chapel at Gaddai, a village at the foot of the rock fortress Jamalabad. As Athyadka was malaria-prone, the chapel was abandoned in 1890. Fr Pascal Mascarenhas constructed a thatched chapel at Belthangady. It was pulled down to make way for a stable structure and a temporary church built adjoining the presbytery served for nearly 10 years. This was served from Taccode for some time. There were many Christian officers at Belthangady who helped Fr Mascarenhas to get a plot.
In 1908, Fr Piadade D’Souza constructed a new church. Fr Clifford D’Souza constructed the new parochial house in 1982. Fr Gregory D’Souza built a chapel at Charmadi. On August 10, 1939, Fr John G. Pinto established a chapel at Bangady, (Indubettu) which became a parish later. Arva, Indubettu and Naravi parishes were carved out of Belthangady. Fr Rosario Fernandes extended the church.
Two parishioners, Mr S.J. Morris and his wife Mrs Juliana D’Souza were awarded a Pontifical Houour named Pro - Ecclessia Pontifice in 1964. Another parishioner Mr Joseph Mary Menezes was awarded Benemerenti.
Fr John G. Pinto started a primary school at Belthangady. Fr Rosario Fernandes constructed the new school building in 1949. St Theresa High School was begun by Fr Elias P. Dias on June 1, 1965.