Mangalore: The quasquicentennial (125th anniversary) celebration of a Church in any Parish marks a very important milestone in its history. It is a time for Celebration, not only for the Church itself but for the whole parish community.
The church dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, was built on a small hillock surrounded with the greenery, by the humble, devote and committed faithful, whose sweat and blood raised each stone upon stone to build this mansion of God.
On Wednesday, 2nd May 2018 the Post Centenary Silver Jubilee Celebrations of Sacred Heart Church Madanthyar culminated with a grand event at the Church grounds.
The event commenced with a Eucharistic Celebration led by Most Rev. Dr. Aloysius Paul D’Souza - Bishop of Mangalore Diocese. Most Rev. Dr. William Dsouza S.J - Arch Bishop of Patna, Most Rev. Dr. Lawrence Mukkuzhy- Bishop of Belthangady, Dr. Henry D’Souza -Bishop of Bellary, Dr. Geevarghese Mar Makarios - Bishop of Puttur and hundreds of Priests, religious and lay people graced this historical occasion.
After the Eucharistic Celebration, the stage event was presided by Most Rev. Dr. Aloysius Paul Dsouza - Bishop of Mangalore, who spoke about the significance Sacred Heart of Jesus in our life. Being the chief Guest Most Rev. Dr. William Dsouza S.J - Arch Bishop of Patna, inaugurated this great event.
Guests of Honor Most Rev. Dr. Lawrence Mukkuzhy- Bishop of Belthangady felicitated all the former priests who served in this parish and appreciated their dedicated service.
Dr. Henry Dsouza - Bishop of Bellary honored all the lay leaders of this parish and appreciated their selfless service.
Dr. Geevarghese Mar Makarios - Bishop of Puttur, Sr. Susheela Sequeira - UFS Mother General, Ursuline Francisican Sisters, Rev. Fr. Bonaventure Nazareth - Vicar Forane Belthangady, B. Ramanath Rai - Minister for Forest, Environment and Ecology, Govt. of Karnataka, Nalin Kumar Kateel - Member of Parliament, Vasantha Bangera - MLA Belthangady Constituency, Gopal Krishna - President, MadanthyarGramaPanchayath, Fr. Charles Serrao - OCD Provincial Superior Carmelites, Sr. Rita Dora Thomas - Provincial Superior Salesian Sisters, Sr. Apoline Cordeiro - UFS Provincial Superior Ursuline Franciscan Sisters were present on the stage.
Former Parish Priests; Fr. Alexander Lobo, Fr. Charles Noronha, Fr. Harold Mascarenhas, Fr. Valerian Frank, Fr. Lawrence Mascarenhas were present.
Nearly 4000 people witnessed this historical event.
Madanthyar was part of Agrar until 1886 and the priest from Agrar used to visit these villages once a year to bless the graves at the cemetery opened by local Catholics, to bless the houses and to celebrate mass.
Later, the local Catholics obtained permission from the Archbishop of Goa to build a chapel here, to be served from Agrar. Fr Emilian Alexander D’Souza of Agrar had chosen a site for the chapel.
The Concordat of 1886 came into operation and Agrar was transferred to the diocese of Mangalore. So the people appealed to Bishop Nicholas Paganisj and he detached the area from Agrar and placed it under the care of Fr Pascal Mascarenhas, the parish priest of Gaddai (Belthangady). Fr Pascal Mascarenhas used to go occasionally to Madanthyar and offer mass in a shed in 1887. The people wanted an independent parish.
Mr Francis D’Souza Prabhu (Porso Porob) of Kolkebail endowed his vast property to the new parish. On March 16, 1889, Fr Rosario D’Souza was appointed the first parish priest.