KONKANCATHOLIC

Infant Jesus Church, Bantwal

Bantwal  
(1702) Infant Jesus
Modankap P.O. 574 219. Bantwal Taluk, D.K.


Tel.: 08255-233292Web.: www.bantwalchurch.com 

Catholics: 2391 Families: 611
Mass:
Week Days : 6.30 a.m., 8.45 a.m.;
Thursdays Addl. : 4.00 p.m.
Saturday : 4.00 p.m.,
Sunday : 6.00 a.m., 7.30 a.m. & 9.15 a.m.
Off.: 9.30 to 12.30 p.m.; 1.30 to 4.30 p.m.
Pub.: Parish Bulletin "Balok" – Thrice a year
P. Assn : SFO, SSVP, Catholic Sabha, Sthree Sangatan, ICYM, YCS, Altar Servers, Marian Sodality
P. P. : V. Rev. L. Maxim Noronha; 9448 296 912
Email: maximn@rediffmail.com
Asst.: Rev. John Baptist Moras 9844953048
Email.: johnmoras123@gmail.com
Institutions:
1. Carmel Convent 08255-230344
2. Infant Jesus Aided Hr.Pry.School, Modankap 08255-230382
3. Sacred Heart Aided Hr. Pry. School, Thodambila 08255-234503
4. Infant Jesus English School, Modankap; 08255-230381
5. Deepika High School, Modankap; 08255-233362

HISTORY:

This is one of the oldest parishes of Mangalore diocese and has been the seat of Vicar Vara since 1888. In 1702, Fr Minguel D’Mello built the first church which was stripped of its roof by Tipu’s soldiers. After the return of the Christians from the captivity the roof of the church was renewed. It was once again renewed in 1857 and again in 1903. In 1801 Fr Piedad Baretto of Goa was the parish priest.

Fr Balthazar Aranha built the present church. It was blessed on January 19, 1943. He was in charge of the parish for 42 years (1902-1944). He helped in the establishment of Bellore and Loreto parishes. He erected a 40 feet Cross near the church.

The Altar and the presbytery were built by Fr Albert V. D’Souza (1944-1954), his successor, who later became the Archbishop of Calcutta. Fr Edwin Castelino built the belfry and got the bells installed. Fr Basil A. D’Souza built the chapel at Bambil in 1974.

Fr Peter S. Noronha (1995-2003) constructed the new church at Bambil. It was blessed on January 31, 1999 and the new parish was erected. He also built a 50 feet Cross on the Bantwal Bypass Road, near the church.. He renovated the presbytry and added more spacious rooms and a Hall.

Fr Balthazar Aranha started the Sacred Heart Higher Primary School at Thodambila in 1928. Fr Peter Salvadore Noronha built the new building for this school. In 1948, Fr Albert V. D’Souza constructed a building for the Infant Jesus Higher Primary School. In 1963, Fr Edwin Castelino started the Deepika Boys’ High School, and Fr Lawrence Fernandes constructed the new school building. In 1997, Fr Peter S. Noronha started the Infant Jesus English Medium Higher Primary School and its building.

Bishops Albert V. D’Souza, and Basil S. D’Souza were respectively the parish priest and the assistant parish priest of this church before they were ordained Bishops. The present Bishop of Mangalore Most Rev. Aloysius Paul D’Souza had worked here as the Parochial Administrator. The Archbishop of Bangalore, Ignatius Pinto, hails from this parish.

Leave Your Comment